Monday, February 8, 2010

More Attributes of God

As we continue to look at the attributes of God please think about the difference these make in your life. When you get to really know someone you have affections for them, you trust them and sometimes you begin to think alike. I believe the same is true when we get to know God more deeply. Thus, the reason for me sharing these attributes of God. I not only hope I will grow deeper in love with God but I hope you will as well. Here are two more attributes that I hope will help you know God better and more intimately.

God is eternal. That is, He has no beginning nor end. He is not bound by time. God was, is and will always be God. Moses said in Psalms 90:2 "Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God." Elihu makes this statement in Job 36:26 "How great is God - beyond our understanding! The number of his years is past finding out." Jesus, in defending who he was said, "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am." God is eternal and because he is eternal what are we afraid of? Nothing should frighten us because God is eternal.

God is omnipresent, that is God is always present, he is everywhere at all times. It is important to note that God is not everything, as some would want us to believe. God is not a tree or bush or an animal or even a human (Except Christ came in human form yet was absolutely God) In Psalm 139:7-10 David records "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there, your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." What a great attribute! God is not some far away God that is not involved in his creation. He is omni (all) present (close to, here). This should bring us comfort and concern. We should be comforted to know that God is always with us, leading us, instructing us but we should be concerned as well that were we go he goes and what we do he is apart of. He is not a God who watches from a distant but he is near. Jesus promised in Matthew 28 that he would never leave us nor forsake us. God is omnipresent.

No comments: