Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Attributes of God

This week in our staff devotion time we are looking at a few of the attributes of God. A.W. Tozer list 20 different attributes from Sovereignty to holiness to omnipresence, omnipotence and omniscience. I whole-heartedly recommend A.W. Tozer's two books on this subject.

In this post let me share very briefly two of the attributes of God.

First there is Self-Existence. God has always been. He is the I AM of Exodus 3: 11-15. He didn't come into existence He has always existed. Acts 17:24-25 states "The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything."

Second, there is his immutability. This means that God never changes. He can always be trusted and will never be impulsive, unpredictable or moody. Malachi 3:6 states ""I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed." Also in James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

I would encourage you to study more about these attributes and know God in greater and deeper ways. I will share more attributes on my next post. Thanks for reading.

No comments: