Sunday, February 14, 2010

Missing the Obvious


Okay, so the other day I am in Kansas City, MO visiting Josh, Kate and Jude. After our visit with Jude I am leaving the hospital with Kate and Shelly and I am riding in the backseat. Now if you know me, riding in the backseat is a rare thing. As we headed back to Josh and Kate's apartment and I am in the backseat looking around, I spot a LaMar's Donut Shop. Due to me not driving I am not paying attention as well as I should have to the location of the shop but decide that on Saturday morning I will get up early and go get some donuts, another thing I rarely do.
I head out on Saturday morning and make my way to Main street in KC in the Westport area. In my mind I am thinking that I saw LaMar's setback from the road. I drive slowly down Main looking for the shop. I don't see it. Thinking that I must have passed it I make a u-turn through a strip mall parking lot to head back. Then I think "no it must be further down or on a different road". So I head north. I still don't find it. I head over to another road, Gillham I think, then head back south. Still no shop. So I go back over to Main and I notice on a sign with Home Depot on it that it has other signs below it. One of the them says "LaMar's Donut Shop". And I say to myself,"self, I was just by here two other times". Sure enough there it is. It is located in the strip mall that I had previously made the u-turn in. Well, by the time I realize it I have missed the turn-in and have to go another block to make another u-turn so I can come back and go to LaMar's!!
Good grief!! It was so OBVIOUS!! And yet I missed it three times.

OK, here is the point. Paul says to the Romans "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse" Romans 1:18-20

God does not play "pick-a-boo" with us nor does he want us missing the obvious. As Psalms states "The heavens declare the glory of God". If we will take just a moment and consider all that God is and has done, we will quickly recognize that God is at work; blessing, providing, sustaining, protecting, leading, instructing and the list could go on. Don't miss what God has made plain to us. He has demonstrated his love for us. Don't miss the obvious. Don't keep driving around thinking you know best. Get the direction you need from his word. Let that direct you and guide you to the place the Lord wants you.

One thing is sure, I will never forget where LaMar's Donut Shop is. May we never forget the obvious or the things that God has plainly made known to us.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I know that donut shop! I used to live 6 blocks south of the big big tower there in westport... :) glad you finally found it, as well as the glory of God. :)