Wednesday, March 5, 2014

When "Life" Hands You Lemons..."

Most of us have heard the saying "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade". We understand, in part, that whatever comes our way, that we are to make the best of the situation.

I suppose this is true. We often cannot control the external forces that are at work around us. We cannot control the repressive boss or the annoying co-worker nor can we make people around us do the "right" thing. Of course the "right" thing is the way I do it or say it. So how do we best deal with the "lemons" in our life or avoid them all together?

First of all, I believe we have to be humble. It is easier said than done but necessary none the least. It is in humility that we are able to deal with whatever comes our way. In humility, we are not focused on us or our rights or our comforts. Humility is empty of self.

Secondly, we must control what it is that we can control. The two things I can control is my reaction and attitude. I believe this comes from humility and it is it's outward manifestation. How I react emotionally and verbally to any situation is important to me and those around me. So, whatever the situation, let humility be evident in our actions and words.

Lastly, it is imperative that we exercise wisdom on the front end. Our wisdom will be evident in our discernment of opportunities that are presented to us. Whether it is a new job, relationship or some other life decision, we need to be wise as we move forward. If there are warning signs or red flags, pay attention and don't proceed blindly or with rose colored glasses.

We will not be able to control every situation. We are where we are and God can use us in any situation regardless of it's condition. If we can learn early on how to handle difficult situations the better we will be prepared when they come.

I have to confess that there have been situations in my life that I handled poorly. I cannot go back and undo anything but I can learn,grow and move on from these experiences and benefit from them now and in the future.

No comments: