Friday, October 8, 2010

Psalm 119:17-24

In these verses it appears that the psalmist has gone from declaring intent (I have...I will) to praying a prayer.
His prayer is for God to deal or treat him good. The result of such treatment would then be living a life of keeping God's word. Often I wonder if we ask God to bless us or treat us well, not to live according to His word, but rather to have material blessings and ease of life. Obviously, this would not be the case of every follower of Jesus.
James says in James 4:3 "You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions" (ESV). I want to pray and act like the psalmist, God treat me well so that "I may live and keep your word".
The next thing he prays for is for the LORD to "Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law" It is the Lord that gives light to the eyes. We were once in darkness until Christ shown his light into our lives so that we could see the truth of his word. Paul prays a prayer for the Ephesians believers that includes "having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe..." If the Lord doesn't open our eyes, we will never see the truth nor realize the hope, inheritance and power we have in Christ.
The last thing I would like to highlight is verse 24 "Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors". A part of what he is saying is that the witness of God is his delight and that witness is where he gets his advice. It is critical that we see God through his word and take our advice from him and those who follow his word.
May these things that the psalmist has prayed for be a part of our prayers as well.

No comments: