Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Good Intentions

I had good intentions on reading through and writing about Psalm 119. It is a great set of verses to read and think upon. It shares and states much of what the Word of God means and does in our life and we get a glimpse into the heart of psalmist. So, even though my intentions were good, I was unable to accomplish my goal.

What happened? I am sure most of us have asked this question when it comes to not doing something that we had intended to do. For me, it seems, that my only consistency is my inconsistency. But regardless of the reasons I could give for not following through on this project, it still didn't come together as I had hoped.

It seems to be a part of life. And when I realize that I have messed up or failed at something I intended to do, I have two choices; either have self-pity and whine about it or just move on and seek to do better next time or tomorrow.

I sort of see this when Jesus reinstates Peter in John 21. Peter has messed up royal and he knew it and had already repented from it. (Matt 26:75) Here we see restoration and commission on one who had good intentions of dying with Jesus but had denied him instead. I love Jesus! He does not condone our sin but is a gracious, kind, compassionate and forgiving Savior. If you notice, Jesus never said "See, I told you were going to deny me". Jesus never brings it up. It doesn't mean he didn't remember it, he chose to not bringing it up or bringing it to mind.

I want to be like Jesus. When others fail to live up to the standards God has set, I am not going to say "My, my, my, how you have failed". I want to respond in kindness and graciousness towards them. They already know they failed and messed up, they don't need me to bring it up. Jesus has been kind and gracious towards me and has forgiven me of all my sin; "Hallelujah, what a Savior!"

Let's "press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (Phil 3:14)

No comments: