Tuesday, August 11, 2015

How our "Stuff" Speaks to What We Value

For better or for worse, I have moved a lot in my life.





In our most recent move, I began to contemplate on how my "stuff", the material possessions I own, speaks to what I value. I became concerned with what others were thinking about my stuff and if it made any difference how much or how little I had. Does our stuff reflect our values? Does it reflect who we are as followers of Jesus?

In all the moving that I have done and assisted with, this is something I had never thought about before. My stuff has just been my stuff. I have more questions than answers on this subject but here are some thoughts.

Jesus taught that our treasure reflects our hearts. He taught that God knows that we need physical things like places to live, clothes to wear and food to eat and just like He provides for the sparrow, He will provide for us.(Matt 6)

If I accumulate a considerable amount of material things, does this indicate that "stuff" is my treasure? How much stuff is too much stuff? And if I have too much or too little, does that truly indicate the focus of my heart?

Another principle that we must consider is do we love money.The Apostle Paul teaches about this in 1 Tim 6:10 "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs". The "love of money" is the problem, not money itself.

Do I love money more than God? Jesus said we cannot serve both God and money (Luke 16:13). If I love money more than God, it very well be evident in the amount and cost of my stuff. The love of money leads me to be "me" focused rather than "kingdom" focused (Matt 6:33).

Our stuff, in and of itself, is not necessarily bad. How much stuff we have may not truly reflect our heart towards God or anything else but it is good to stop and think through how our stuff may reflect to those around me.






No comments: