Monday, March 16, 2015

Dry Bones

I have come to love the story in Ezekiel 37 about his vision of the "valley of dry bones". It is a great story of God's power and work in the history of Israel. It reveals the heart of God in that He does what he does because of His great name, for the honor of His name and for His own glory. The other interesting aspect is that no where does it mention Israel as a reason for His restoration power. Israel will greatly benefit but they were not the reason. According to the "word of the LORD" Israel defamed the name of God because of their idol worship.



I am glad that I am not the center of God's world. I make myself the center of my world but it is wrong to do so and only leads to trouble. It leads me to believe that God should always do what I want and when He doesn't "come through" I'm left disappointed and frustrated at God. I also think that I have all wisdom and can do what I think is best. I make myself my own idol.

The future promise that God would raise a "exceeding great army" is a glorious thing because it is God who does it and He does it for His own glory! When God acts for His own glory and we are obedient to His words, a wonderful thing happens; we are restored and filled with the power and presence of God.

We do not know better than God. The idols we make only take us away from the truth. When we are obedient to the teaching of God, we find peace, freedom, His presence and healing. The idols leave us dumb, mute and deaf; just like they are.

If you are "dry" from following after idols, which is what sin is, then stop today and confess and repent of your sin. God will send His Spirit to revive and restore and you will be blessed and mighty in the power of God.


No comments: