Saturday, November 2, 2013

Getting Past Regrets

I suspect that most of us have regrets. Whether it is related to a job, college choice, relationship or life issue, we probably have a regret or two. The regret may be a distant memory or a recent occurrence; but either way, what do we do with our regrets? How do we turn the regret into something good.

I am sure every biblical character, except Jesus, has regrets. Abraham probably regretted trying to help God with His plan, Jonah may have regretted disobeying God's word to him. David regretted his affair with Bathsheba. Peter regretted his denial of Jesus and Paul regretted his persecution of the Church.

As I look to the Word of God and the examples of men and women before me, I consider their regrets or sins and then look at how the moved beyond them. Each one moved past the failure and did great things in faith. Abraham was willing to sacrifice Isaac, as the Lord instructed, and his faith was credited to him as righteousness. David taught us how to repent and teach transgressors God's way. Peter went on to preach at the Day of Pentecost, being used by God to write Scripture and Paul went on to be a great missionary and wrote most of the New Testament.

Romans 8:28 states "God works all things for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose". I firmly believe that nothing is wasted in the economy of God. God uses our failures to create humility and dependency upon Himself. In our failure, our need for God, His power and strength are intensified and more easily recognized.

I have plenty of regrets. The scheme of the devil is to keep me focused on regrets, those things that are behind; things I cannot change. The proper response to regrets is to repent of any sin that I have committed and then move on. Keep looking to Jesus, who is the "Author and Perfecter of my faith", who loves me and has a greater plan for my life than I can imagine. Regrets, if not properly dealt with, cause me to look at myself and then I waller like a pig in my feelings, feeling sorry for myself. What I must continually do is look to Jesus. I must keep looking forward.

If you are dealing with regret, look to Jesus, repent and then move on and let Christ finish His work in you.

No comments: