Friday, April 16, 2010

What can you do?

It has been awhile since I last wrote. I took some days away from the office and just have not been inspired to write. But today, I have some things to share that I hope will encourage you.

Today, our grandson Jude, is having a surgery to reattach his small intestines. Right after he was born he contracted a very dangerous intestinal disease. It was a very concerning time for Josh and Kate and for all of us. Many people were praying for him and the Lord heard and answered our prayers for healing and protection. Well, today they are putting everything back together. This will greatly help Jude to grow and develop and it will ease the work that Josh and Kate have to do to care for Jude.

As with the first surgery, this surgery is the same in that what can I do? I find myself once again recognizing my absolute dependence upon the Lord to work and provide all our needs, both physical and spiritual. What can I do to help Jude or Josh and Kate? Though I might not be able to take away the circumstance, I have realized that there are things I can do.

One of the things I can do is be here. I almost wasn't. Before this surgery was scheduled I had committed to help lead and participate in a Sunday School conference. After arriving at the conference for a faculty meeting, I shared what was going on with Jude and immediately everyone there expressed that I should not be there but here in Kansas City. I didn't want to let anyone down and I was torn both ways. But their allowing me to be relieved from my duties made it much easier.

Another thing I can do is pray. Sometimes we think that prayer is insignificant when in fact it is the most important thing we can do. Who is it that can provide everything? It is the Lord and we need to go before His throne to petition Him for the things we need and to again declare our dependency upon Him.

Though there will always be things we can't do, look for the things you can do and then do it.

And it came to pass...

No comments: